- AI is the science and engineering of making intelligent machines and systems, especially intelligent computer programs, that can perform tasks commonly associated with intelligent beings.
- AI can empower patients and communities to take control of their health care and better understand their evolving needs.
- AI can improve access to health services, especially in resource-poor countries, where patients often face many barriers to health care.
- Consideration of ethics, gender and inclusivity are important for development of responsible AI.
- There has been an explosion in available health data in Africa due to improved infrastructure for electricity and internet as well as the widespread adoption of digital health technologies. This provides great opportunity for data driven innovations.